Wood Shakes and shingles are available in various woods such as redwood, southern pine and cedar, which is the most expensive. They have a very low fire rating so before purchasing this roof please be sure to check building codes; there is a fire-resistant treatment that can be added for an additional cost. They come in a variety of looks as wood shakes have a rougher look due to them being handmade opposed to the machine cut process for wood shingles. An alternative to wood shingles and shakes are recycled synthetic shingles, which consists of plastic or rubber that is mixed recycled wood and is shaped to match wood shakes.
- Wood shakes are hand-cut from cedar, redwood or pine trees.
- Wood shingles are processed by machines.
- 15 – 20 years
- Provides great insulation
- Timeless look
- Very expensive to purchase and install
- Over time, materials can begin to crack and warping
- Highly flammable
- Insurance rates may be higher