Your home is by far your largest and most important investment, and its roof is its biggest defense. Roofs are subjected to harsh elements throughout the year such as sunrays, heavy rain, wind and snow. If left unattended, these elements can cause significant damage to your roof, which can lead to high-cost roof repairs and replacements.
- Clean the gutters. It is important to clean the gutters of any and all debris, as they can hold water and can cause growth of algae. This is especially important during fall when most trees shed their leaves.
- Check your attic. This is the best area to identify leaks before they cause significant damage to a roof. Keeping an eye open in and around vents where water may trickle in is important. Also, make sure to look for staining or streaks on walls.
- Check Ventilation. Poor ventilation can cause shingles to become dry and brittle in warm weather. If your vents aren’t working properly during the winter, snow can melt and freeze repeatedly, which can cause shingles and flashing to lift.
- Check for insects. Termites and carpenter ants can tunnel into the boards of the roof to form a colony; this food source can become an attraction for other wildlife in the area.
- Clean the roof. The roof will need to be cleaned of debris that can get stuck around HVAC units or any other roof penetrations. This debris can hold water and can expedite roof deterioration.
- Removing hanging tree limbs. Overhanging trees can be a hazard to your roof, not only with the risk of broken limbs falling and damaging the roof, but also if a limb rests on the roof, it can wear away on the protective top layer or lift shingles.
- Check the flashing. Roof flashing is usually around openings in the house such as windows, chimneys and exhaust pipes. Checking to ensure that they are not bent or punctured is very important. You should also check to ensure that the sealant isn’t dried out.
- Check for animal damage. Animals such as raccoons, chipmunks and squirrels can lift shingles and live under your roof. This exposed area, now susceptible to the elements, and cause rotting and leaks.
- Inspect area around the house. A quick check around the perimeter of the house can reveal shingles that may have been lost during winds or broken shingles that have come loose due to deterioration.
- Contact your roofing specialists. If any issues are discovered, don’t hesitate to contact Williamette Power Roofing and Roof Cleaning. We’ll come to your home to assess and repair any damage discovered.
By taking a few minutes every six months to go through this checklist, you can add years to the life of your roof and protect your investment. Remember that this roof is protecting you and your family along with your personal belongings and the interior on your home from the elements.